Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Yoo Geon , My Mighty Princess

ELLE GIRL  translations full credits to dramaok

I'm sweating from the palm of my hand like the time I testified before the police.
Because Yoo Geon is running and jumping on the rooftop down the street which can be seen from a distance.
He even jokes as he pretends to fall and then not fall.
This young man with 10 million volts of energy wriggling through the body arrived safely on the ground.

"I like to engage in action-oriented activities. In 'Kidnapping Mz. Kwon' I loved to film the scene from the train.
Even when everyone else is cautious, saying not to move, I keep running around.
Even right now I'm scaring people by going up to such a place. Ha Ha."

Yoo Geon who brings this up himself has something reckless about him.
Like when he was in his teens pursuing a singing career in Korea then quitting and going back to the U.S.,
and like when he came back to Korea without any plans to be an actor.
He, who says due to his father's opposition his desire to act became even greater,
says even the hardships weren't hard.

"There were times when I came to Korea that I'd live here and there among my friends' places, and there was a time I got conned,
but because I met great friends, I was able to endure through.
When I had nothing and was feeling frustrated, my friends would say 'Let's at least play a minor role' and we auditioned through the internet,
which led to my meeting this current office. I meet that friend from time to time and we eat together but things have changed a bit.
Back then we couldn't really have meat, but now we eat without a second thought. Ha Ha.
My audition was seen, and I was able to go to my current management company,
and I was able to appear in 'Hello God' and it carved out a living and a the happy beginning of a 2nd act."

Since then he filmed one drama, and three movies.
In the drama 'Bad Couple' he played a dreamy younger man who was like an older woman's fantasy.
He played around on a movie set and joyfully like that the film 'Kidnapping Mz. Kwon' finished filming.
His role was a good-hearted kidnapper who made your head spin but had deep eyes like a character from an innocent comic book.
He will soon show us the image of an ice-hockey player in the film 'Moorim College Girl' which is waiting to be released.
All these events happened in less than a year.

"The word 'happy' is not enough to describe it. I just think that when I'm acting I am the happiest.
I am happy that I can meet my father and proudly tell him I'm doing these things these days.
Without any big reason or meaning, it's just good."

He's doing what he does because he likes it. 'Like it' and 'Do it' are the most simple and clear phrases in the world.
But in reality in between them lies much omitted anguish, and thinking, and determination.
Just like when he was running and jumping on the rooftop earlier.

"I try hard to be thoughtless. Actually my life has been decided recklessly too, like coming to Korea to be an actor.
Perhaps I have too many complicated things to think about in my mind alone, so I tend to want to make decisions in a short and simple way.
'Live Simply' is the moto of my life."

Yoo Geon, who is drinking banana milk and smilingly jokingly,
has already battled against the raging waves 5 years more then others,
and from him these detached answers are coming out.

"Those around me are telling me to be more aloof, saying 'Aren't you being too at ease and charming?'..
But in reality that is me. I don't become tormented when I don't come out well in a project, and wonder why couldn't I have done better or why did I only amount to this.
Instead I acknowledge my faults, then I can just focus on becoming better in the future."

At 25 years of young age, the actor Yoo Geon plans to keep up his recklessness.

"I tend to improvise all the time. To the degree that at times it may be dangerous.
At times I wonder what I'd be like in a few years. But if I live trying to keep up with plans then in chasing those plans my life might be missed.
And, that's no fun."

The ambitious spirit of recklessly living is the privilege of youth,
and right now Yoo Geon is fully enjoying such privilege.

*  Premiere issue #29 (10.1~15)!


=====


Excerpts

<무림 여대생> 유건

손 바닥에서 땀이 났다. 아래가 까마득하게 보이는 옥상 난간 위에서 유건이 폴짝폴짝 뛰고 있기 때문이다. 심지어 떨어질 듯 말 듯 장난도 친다. 경찰에 진술을 해본 적이 있었던 가를 걱정하기 시작할 무렵, 온 몸에 100만 볼트짜리 에너지가 꿈틀거리는 이 청년이 안전한 땅으로 내려왔다. "저는 활동적이고 움직이는 걸 좋아해요. <권순분 여사 납치 사건>에서도 기차 신을 찍을 때가 정말 재밌었어요. 다들 조심하라고, 움직이지 말라고 그러는데도 저는 계속 뛰어다니고. 지금도 저런 데 올라가서 남들을 불안하게 하잖아요. 하하."
스스로 이야기 하는 것처럼 유건에게는 무모한 구석이 있다. 십대 시절 한국에서 잠깐 가수 활동을 하다가 그만 두고 미국으로 돌아갔을 때도 그랬고, 연기를 하겠다고 다시 무작정 한국에 왔을 때도 그랬다. 아버지의 반대 덕분에 연기에 대한 열정이 더 불타 올랐다고 말하는 그는, 힘들어도 힘들지 않았다. "한국에 와서 여기 저기 친구 집에서 살 때도 있었고, 사기를 당한 적도 있었어요. 하지만 좋은 친구들을 만났기 때문에 견딜 수 있었죠. 아무 것도 없고 좌절하고 있을 때 친구가 '우리 단역이라도 해보자'고 인터넷에 오디션 신청해서 지금의 사무실을 만나게 되었거든요. 그 친구랑은 가끔 만나서 밥을 먹는데 옛날과 좀 달라졌죠. 그 때는 고기도 잘 못 먹고 그랬는데, 지금은 그래도 여유 있게 먹거든요. 하하."
그 렇게 오디션을 보고, 소속사를 갖게 되고, 드라마 <안녕하세요, 하느님>에 출연하면서 그의 파란만장 한 삶에 행복한 2막이 시작 되었다. 그 동안 한 편의 드라마와 세 편의 영화를 찍었다. 드라마 <불량 커플>에서는 '누나의 꿈'을 채워주는 이상적인 연하 남을 연기 했다. 촬영장에서 그냥 놀다 보니 영화가 완성 됐다는 즐거운 영화 <권순분 여사 납치 사건>도 찍었다. 어리어리 하지만 순정만화 같은 눈망울을 가진 착한 납치범이 그의 역할이다. 개봉을 기다리고 있는 <무림 여대생>에서는 멋진 아이스하키 선수의 모습을 보여줄 예정이다. 이 모든 일들이 불과 1년 동안 일어났다. "행복이라는 단어는 너무 큰 거 같고, 그냥 연기를 할 때 내가 제일 좋다는 생각이 들어요. 아버지를 만나서 '저 요즘 이런 일을 하고 있습니다'라고 자랑스럽게 말할 수 있어서 좋아요. 큰 이유도 없고 큰 의미도 없이 그냥, 좋아요."
좋으니까 한다. 세상에서 가장 단순하고 명료한 문장이지만 '좋으니까'와 '한다' 사이에는 사실 엄청난 고민과 생각과 결심이 생략되어 있다. 그가 아까 옥상에서 폴짝거리던 바로 그 표정으로 말한다. "무모 하려고 애를 써요. 사실 제 인생도 무모하게 결정한 거죠. 연기 하고 싶어서 한국에 나온 것도 그렇고요. 혼자 머리 속으로는 생각도 많고 복잡한데 그래서 그런지 겉으로 결정 내리는 건 단순하게 하려고 하죠. '단순하게 살자', 이게 제 인생의 모토에요." 바나나 우유를 홀짝 이며 장난스럽게 웃는 유건에게서 이미 남들 보다 5년 정도 먼저 세상 풍파를 먼저 겪은 자의 초연한 대답들이 이어진다. "주변 사람들이 좀 초조해지라고 그러더라 고요. '너 너무 편하고 느긋한 거 아니냐'면서. 사실 저는 그래요. 만약 작품에서 제가 좀 못 나왔으면 '내가 되게 못 했나 보다, 다음 번에 잘해야지'라고 생각하지 '왜 나 이거 밖에 안되지?'라는 생각으로 괴로워하진 않아요. 일단 제 자신을 인정하고 더 나은 방향으로 발전 시키면 되는 거니까요."
이제 스물 다섯, 젊은 배우 유건은 앞으로도 쭉 무모할 작정이다. "뭐든 즉흥적이에요. 너무 과해서 조금 위험하게 생각될 때도 있을 만큼 요. 가끔 과연 내가 몇 년 후에 어떤 모습일지 생각은 해 볼 때가 있어요. 근데 그렇게 계획에 맞춰서 살다 보면 마치 그것만 쫓다가 그 이상은 안 될 거 같아요. 그리고 그런 거, 재미 없잖아요." 앞뒤 재지 않고 무작정 덤벼드는 패기는 젊음의 특권이다. 유건은 지금 그 특권을 제대로 누리고 있다.

*자세한 내용은 프리미어 본지 29호(10.1~15)에서 확인해주세요!



*자세한 내용은 프리미어 본지 29호(10.1~15)에서 확인해주세요!





 
Related Posts with Thumbnails